Database software can be defined as an application used to organize, manage and store information. Tables are used for information storage. Each table has columns (or fields) and rows (also called “records”).
Database Software Advantages
– It allows quick updates all of the records you have there.
– It can generate reports and searches. For example, if you have a list of people, you can find only people who live in France, and you can also sort the list by country, city, or any other parameter.
– A database can contain several tables (table linking), which allows you to combine different sets of information.
A database is defined as an organized data collection, used for one or several purposes.
DBMS (Database Management System) is a complex system, capable of meeting various requirements. The databases maintained by such systems are usually complex and quite large.
The most popular database management systems are IBM DB2, Oracle, MySQL, Micrisift SQL Server, SQLite, etc.
MySQL (“SQL” – Structured Query Language) is an open source server. Companies like Yahoo, Suzuki, the Associated Press and even NASA use it for processing data. MySQL is popular because it is reliable, quick and efficient. Another reason for its popularity is its platform independence. It can run on Windows, UNIX, Linux and the Macintosh.
The architectural design combines simplicity, reliability and robustness. It is highly customizable, too. There are several paid editions for commercial use. These editions offer more functionality. Applications that use this type of databases are Joomla, TYPO3, Drupal, phpBB, etc.
PostgreSQl or Postgres, is an ORDBMS (object relational database management system), available for FreeBSD, Linux, Microsoft Windows, Solaris, Mac OS X, etc. This open-source software was developed by the PostgreSQL development Group.
Supported data types include:
Text search type
Arbitrary precision numeric
Variable length arrays
XML supporting XPath queries
IPv6 and IPv4 addresses
Well known users include:
MySpace, Yahoo!, BASF, Geni.com, MyYearbook, OpenStreetMap, Skype VoIP application, MusicBrainz, International Space Station, Heroku, etc.
This is another open source system you can use. It comes with key management controls and customizable features. It supports several operating systems, including Windows, UNIX, Mac OS X and others.
Here are some of the notable software that use BDB:
Cyrus IMAP Server
MySQL database system
Firebird is a high quality system that functions on multiple platforms (Windows, UNIX and Linux). Its support for stored procedures makes it one of the finest free database software. What makes this system so attractive to developers is that it is completely free.
• Referential integrity
• Fast recovery (there is no need for any transaction logs)
• Complete support for stored procedures
• Support for External Functions
• Incremental backups
• Full ACID compliant transactions
• Third party tools (replication tools, GUI administrative tools)
• Different access methods – ODBC, native/API, PHP, OLEDB, dbExpress drivers, Python module, etc.
These applications will make your work easier and you won’t have to pay for expensive programs. Using free database software can save your money and time.